Coming changes bring to Lithuania innovations in trademark registration and protection
Legal trademark protection in Lithuania is seeking harmonisation with other legal acts valid in European Union. Since 1 January 2019 a new version of the Trademark Law implementing the provisions of the Directive (EU) 2015/2436 of the European parliament and of the Council European Union of 16 December 2015 to approximate the laws of the Member States relating to trademarks, will come into force.
Coming changes bring to Lithuania innovations in trademark registration and protection, as a result of trademark owners gain new opportunities to register trademarks, develop strategies for protecting their trademarks and expect for an easier and faster administrative process to achieve results.
So, it is important to know that next year:
- The requirement of graphic mark representation will be abolished;
- Registration of certification mark will be possible;
- Changes in stage of trademark registration will be set;
- A new institute of third parties observations will be set;
- Mandatory pre-trial procedure will be established;
- Trademark use requirement will be allowed;
- Rights and restrictions of the trademark owners will be elaborated.
We will introduce each change including fee changes in detail.