Dr. Tomas Ambrasas has a practice of more than 12 years, 7 of which are related to leading, managing FSI, regulatory, compliance, risk advisory teams and projects.
Tomas has also successfully defended the doctoral thesis at the University of Basel, on the subject of bank resolution and banking crisis management, where he analyzed practical and theoretical applications of international financial standards.
Tomas plays an active role in shaping regulation in the financial sector as well as policy on financial innovations and a new era of compliance in banking. He also has a broad-ranging financial expertise, especially in regulatory compliance matters, alternative financing, financing transactions, capital markets, financial services law, and all aspects of FinTech regulations (including blockchain/ICO/VC legal implications, licensing and compliance assurance projects). Tomas combines technical regulatory expertise based on “regulatory assurance”, “regulatory strategy”, “regulatory compliance” projects.
– Developed AML Risk Management Strategy, including methodologies for measuring AML risk exposure, calculating the capital requirement for AML risk, stress tests, compliance checks for AML risk; gap analysis, roadmap, build up policies and procedures, client on-boarding, remediation, compliance, AML programs.
– Advised Baltic subsidiaries of major Scandinavian bank on GDPR issues, including conducting legal and technical GDPR Gap Assessment, developing a roadmap, implementation.
– Was leading the Lithuanian Central Bank’s Blockchain project at Deloitte.
– Was a manager for newly established banks in Lithuania. Services included drafting of all legal documents for acquisition of license, coordination of the documents with the client and the supervisory institution.
– Was participating in a great variety of risk advisory, compliance assurance projects as related to PSD2, MIFID II, Basel accord, recovery and resolution, regulatory reporting etc.
– Consulted Lithuanian and foreign companies on implementing Fintech and Blockchain projects (ICO, STO, VC, EMI, MI, etc.).
– Over the time he has served major banks and financial institutions in Lithuania and the EU, most relevant names being: DNB bank, Luminor bank, Swedbank, the Bank of Lithuania, Single Resolution Board, ECB, Monify, ERGO, TUW PZUW, Caterpillar Financial services, Ifspay, Vienna Insurance Group, Behind the Games, Bank of China, ConnectPay and many more.
Since 2019 June — AAA Law, Associate Partner, Head of Banking and Finance, Attorney at law
2017–2019 — FinTech Lithuania, Vice-Chairman
2018–2019 — Cobalt, Head of Banking and Finance
2015–2018 — Deloitte, Manager, FSI
2014–2015 — University of Basel, Researcher
2013–2014 — The EU Council, Expert-Advisor, Banking Union files
2010–2013 — Mykolas Romeris University, Lecturer
2008–2011 — SEB bank, Legal Manager/Client Executive
2006–2008 — Lindorff, Manager of Distressed Banking Portfolio
2015 — University of Basel, PhD
2015 — Mykolas Romeris University, Doctor of Law
2014 — Swiss Comparative Law institute
2010 — Mykolas Romeris University, Master of Business Law
2008 — Mykolas Romeris University, Bachelor of Law
Lithuanian, English, Russian
Tomas has a unique expertise related to complex project management, financing projects, Blockchain legal implications, Fintech, regulatory and compliance related technical questions (including blockchain/ICO/VC legal implications, licensing and compliance assurance projects). He is also a member of special governmental FinTech group and was a driving force in building FinTech regulatory sandbox in Lithuania. Additionally, he is a well-recognized speaker on various FinTech topics.