Gatis Meržvinskis is a Managing partner of Riga office, having more than 18 years of work legal experience in IP field and especially in IP (trademarks, designs, patents, copyright, domains, licensing) litigation and enforcement matters. He is responsible for handling opposition, appeals and court proceeding matters, representing clients before Latvian Patent Office (LPO), World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) and European Union Intellectual Property Organization (EUIPO), courts, the Customs or other institutions in Latvia, advising clients on IP dispute and infringement matters as well as unfair competition, advertising, customs related cases, drafting and advising regarding licensing and franchising contracts and commercialization of IP rights, strategy of management and protection of IP rights.
• Representing in several cases before the court world famous alcoholic drink manufacturers in so called “decoding” cases;
• Advised one of the biggest banks on rebranding and concluding coexistence agreement on bank’s main trademark;
• Representing the biggest Latvian confectionery manufacturer in worldwide IP cases and successfully handling trademark litigation regarding co-called “Sowiet” brands;
• Representing in Latvia a biggest premium spirits and wine company in brand protection matters, including, trademark disputs of famous cognac, champage and wine brands;
• Handling acquisition of trademark for one of biggest Latvian supermarket chain companies;
• Advising UK biggest mobile communication provider on trademark protection in Latvia, handling of several opposition and infringement cases;
• Consulting an innovative Latvian company on prosecution and enforcement of a design acquiring several design awards;
• Representing word famous cartoon company in copyright infringements in Latvia.
Kopš 1999.g. – “Pētersona Patents”
Kopš 2008.g. – Latvijas patentpilnvarnieks preču zīmju un rūpniecisko dizainparaugu jomā
Kopš 2008.g. – Eiropas patentpilnvarnieks preču zīmju un dizainparaugu jomā
2005 – University of Latvia, Master degree in law.
1999 – International Institute, department of English and German philology, Bachelor degree.
1997 – Latvian Academy of Medicine.
1991 – Riga Medical school.
Latvian, English, Russian, German.
Licensing Executive Society (LES)
Association Internationale pour la Protection de la Propriete Intellectuelle (AIPPI) Latvia National Group
European Community Trademark Association (ECTA), committee’s member
Pharmaceutical Trademark Group (PTMG)
International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys (FICPI)
Participant of various different conferences and seminars, including “Mediator qualification courses”, “Negotiating and drafting software contracts”, Intellectual Asset Management – Maximizing Value from Patent and Technology”.
Number of his articles have been published by international associations and universities.